It is very important to give your roof a quick inspection a couple times a year. This should be very simple and not take much time. Be careful. Many of these items can be done from the ground or from a ladder.
- From the ground look up at your roof and check for missing, damaged or lifted shingles. It is important to find out about missing shingles as soon as possible. If you do not replace missing shingles, you can easily get water damage in your home or have damaged wood when its time to replace your roof. Both of those will require extra money that can be avoided.
- Clean out your gutters twice a year. This is a great time to find out how your shingles are performing. If while cleaning gutters you notice lots of shingle grit and dirt in your gutters it’s a sign that your roof is nearing its end of life. Also, if you leave debris in your gutter and the water cannot freely flow this can cause damage to your roof edge and facia boards. If cleaning your gutters in not an activity you are comfortable with just give us a call. We can clean them out and install gutter guards.
- If you have access, look in your attic. Look at the floor and ceiling to check for any water marks. You can catch leaks early by doing this.
- Check out the plumbing vent pipes. Cracked vent pipe collars are the number one cause of roof leaks. The standard pipe collar only lasts about 10-15 years before it needs to be repaired. If your roof is in this range pay close attention to this one. A leak from a cracked pipe collar normally puts a water stain on the ceiling in your bathroom or kitchen. This is why Varner Roofing installs an upgraded pipe collar on every roof we replace that is rated to last up to 50 years.
- If you have a chimney, make sure the caulk on the flashing is in good condition.
- Make sure you do not have trees growing onto your roof or areas where leaves and pine needles stay on your roof for extended periods of time. Not only does this void manufacturer warranties it decomposes the roof prematurely.
If you have any questions about the health of your roof, schedule a consultation with Varner Roofing. We would love to be of assistance.